- Pay more attention to mental health and well-being and encourage it in others
- Support a loved one/friend/colleague who is living with a mental health issue or illness, who is going through a difficult time, is struggling with suicidal thoughts or has lost a loved one to suicide
- Refrain from using the phrase ‘commit suicide’ or successful suicide and instead say ‘died by suicide’ or ‘suicided’
- Encourage people that its ok to talk about suicide – that they myth by talking about suicide will make so your elected officials to help influence policy that will improve the mental health system and ensure programs exist for all Canadians such as skills groups for individuals who have attempted suicide and suicide bereavement groups
- Take a suicide alertness or intervention training such as SafeTALK or ASIST or Mental Health First Aid. Just like we learn physical first aid skills we can also learn emotional first aid skills. Encourage families/friends/co-workers/faith groups/coaches to take training in your community. Raise funds and host one!
- Host a World Suicide Prevention Day Event in your community if one does not already exist
Help fuel the Canadian Association for Suicide Prevention to create meaningful change for suicide prevention efforts in Canada. CASP is 100% funded by donation and we need your support. DONATE NOW https://www.canadahelps.org/en/charities/canadian-association-for-suicide-prevention/
Honour a Loved One
A memorial gift to CASP is a meaningful and lasting way to honour a loved one while helping others. Thoughtful gifts made to a Memorial Fund or in memory of a loved one will help CSASP continue to pursue our mission to reduce the suicide rate and minimize the harmful consequences of suicidal behavior. SET UP A MEMORIAL FUND or MAKE a DONATION NOW https://www.canadahelps.org/en/charities/canadian-association-for-suicide-prevention/
Organize a Fundraiser
Raise awareness and funds for the Canadian Association for Suicide Prevention by organizing your own fundraising event or activity in your community. We will provide guidelines to help make your event safe and sensitive. (mark we have forms for this – maybe I should just place them here?)
Ask your workplace to match a donation or host a bake sale or event.
Celebrate an Important Day
In your life or the life of a loved one – birthday, wedding, anniversary – hosting a dinner party to playing a concert or having a game night – share it with CASSP and turn your special day or event into a charitable opportunity
Although CASP does not offer services where you can help out each week, there are different ways you can help from your home including assisting in the updating of resources, website and educational material, translation, sub-committee help, and by hosting your own fundraising event.
- Website assistance – helping to scan the website for broken links, looking at ways to improve the website
- Attending events if they arise in your area
If you are interested in being added to the CASP volunteer list, please let us know your area, some general areas of interest and any skills you would like us to know about. When opportunities arise, we will send it out to yourself and other potential volunteers.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org